Communities & Health Professionals Together (CHPT) is a collaboration between multiple Sacramento-based community organizations and the UC Davis School of Medicine. In February 2014 CHPT launched a patient & family resource desk at the Oak Park WellSpace Pediatric Clinic. The goal of the resource desk is to connect clinic families to non-medical social service resources (i.e. food, parenting classes, resume assistance, etc). Through these connections to local organizations the clinic strives to support overall patient health.
We are looking for undergraduates to research resources and agencies that exist for families in need in the Sacramento area. This work involves:
- Finding new resources for the database through a combination of Internet research, phone calls, and site visits to community organizations.
- Cleaning and streamlining our existing online database.
- Creating resource handouts to be distributed to patients and their families.
This opportunity is ideal for those interested in learning about how communities address social needs, those pursuing careers in healthcare or social work, those interested in serving underprivileged populations, or those invested in learning more about the Sacramento area.
The bulk of the work required for this internship is independent, and can be completed at any location of your choosing. Monthly meetings will be held on campus in Davis from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on the following Wednesdays: 1/21, 2/18, and 3/11.
- Candidates must be organized, independent, and able to communicate professionally and effectively with resource organizations and community members.
- Minimum time commitment of 3 to 4 hours per week. Community Resources Interns set their own hours. Work may be completed in large or small blocks throughout the course of the week.
- At the end of each week, interns should submit a digital log of hours and progress.
- Minimum term commitment of 1 quarter.
This is an unpaid internship. You may, however, apply for transcript notation. Interns will have opportunities to work past Winter Quarter, through research or direct service in the clinic. Community Resources Interns will be able to make a formative impact on the resource desk project as it expands in scope.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Community Resources Intern Winter 2015”. In your email include a short paragraph explaining why 1) this internship appeals to you and 2) why you’d be a perfect addition to our team.